Friday, July 17, 2009

LBGT & Adoption

Today I want to blog about LGBT families! For those of you who don’t know what LGBT means, here is the breakdown: L-lesbian, G-gay, B-bisexual and T-transgender. As you know, the National Adoption Center has earned its seal by the Human Rights Campaign for being culturally competent in working with LGBT families.

Since the seal was awarded, I have been receiving numerous emails and phone calls to inquire about LGBT adoption. I am the Center’s primary LGBT Adoption Advocate, and being awarded the seal has increased awareness in the community. This has been an enlightening journey for all involved. From my perspective, I didn’t realize how many folks thought adoption was barred for them. For members of the LGBT community, they can now actually consider growing their family via adoption.

I, and others here at NAC, have been able to educate families about the possibility of becoming parents for the first time through adoption. Some families have taken the next step and been referred to an agency to begin that process.

If you are or know a member of the LGBT community who would like information on adoption and foster care, please do not hesitate to call me at 215-735-9988 ext 311.

If you want to post a comment about our seal, LGBT adoption, or advocacy, please feel free………..

written by Sheina Martinez

No comments: